Electors wishing to cast their ballot by mail must complete an Application for Mail-in Ballot form. The form can be obtained at the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer, or downloaded from this website (link below). A copy of an official document showing your name, address, date of birth and signature (such as a driver's license or a combination of two documents providing the same information) must be included with your application. All documents must be legible.
The deadline for applications is 6:00 p.m. on the 13th day before polling day. An application may be emailed (preferred method) mailed, faxed or delivered in person to the Chief Electoral Officer or personally delivered to the Office of the Returning Officer:
When an Application for Mail-in Ballot has been accepted, the elector may only vote by mail-in ballot.
Mailing of Ballots
Mail-in ballots will be sent by Canada Post ExpressPost from Elections PEI on the 12th day before ordinary polling day.
Return of Mail-in Ballots
Mail-in ballots must be returned to the Chief Electoral Officer's Office by noon on ordinary polling day. Costs incurred in returning the ballot paper are the responsibility of the elector.
Eligibility for Mail-in Ballot
The following electors are eligible to vote by mail-in ballot is:
- a member of the Canadian Armed Forces or the spouse of member and must have a statement of ordinary residence under section 19 of the Canada Elections Act; or
- an elector who by reason of his or her illness or physical incapacity is unable to attend at the polling station; or
- an elector temporarily residing outside the province who is unable to attend at the advance poll days or ordinary polling day; or
- a qualified elector who is incarcerated in a provincial correctional institution.
Qualifications of an Elector:
- not less than 18 years of age on the date of the election;
- is a Canadian citizen;
- is living in the province of PEI for six months immediately preceding the date of the writ of election;
- must vote in the polling district they lived in on the date of the writ of election.