Candidates and Agents
According to the Election Act, a candidate is any individual who files an official nomination paper with the district returning officer after the election writ is issued and before 2:00 pm on nomination day. Download 'Learn more about Becoming a Candidate'
Materials for CandidatesThe following is a list of materials available to all candidates. Please consult your Returning Officer.
- Election Act
- Poll descriptions
- Election Calendar: Brief outline of events by day, with cut off dates and time deadlines
- Proclamation (official announcement of election)
- Notice To Voters (indicates all nominated candidates)
- Preliminary list of electors
- Supplementary list of electors
- Nomination paper to be submitted no later than 2 pm on nomination day (may be submitted earlier)
The working relationship between the Returning Officer and the campaign organization is extremely important. It is suggested that a candidate select one person working in the campaign to act as liaison between the Returning Officer and the political organization.
During the 26 to 32 days of the election the Returning Officer and candidates' representatives will have ample opportunity to gain an understanding of the varied aspects of the Election Act, to discuss procedures, and to advise all candidates regarding Returning Office hours, and specific deadlines for submitted lists of election workers.
Please contact your Returning Officer if any situation arises which needs clarification or if any difficulty occurs that needs resolution.