How to Become a Candidate

To become a candidate in an election, you must first go through a nomination process. You can be nominated as an independent candidate, or as a candidate for one of the four registered political parties. You can only be nominated as a candidate in one electoral district per election.

How does the nomination process work?

Once you have won your party nomination to represent them in a district, you need to get your nomination package from your districts Returning Officer, once the election period has started. Collect signatures from 25 or more eligible voters and return the nomination form and a $200 deposit to the Returning Officer no later than 2:00 pm on Nomination Day. If you are an independent, you still need to get the 25 signatures and submit them and a $200 deposit to the districts Returning Officer.

At the close of nominations on Nomination Day, the Chief Electoral Officer will announce the candidates in all local newspapers and in the Royal Gazette.

Am I qualified to be a candidate?

You can be nominated as a candidate if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen;
  • are 18 years old or will be 18 years old on or before nomination day;
  • are not disqualified or ineligible under the Election Act (PDF), or any other Act, to be a candidate or a member of the Legislative Assembly; and
  • qualify as a voter in any one of the electoral districts in the Electoral Boundaries Act (PDF).

What happens if I am the only candidate in my district on Nomination Day?

If there are no other candidates nominated by 2:00 pm on Nomination Day in your district, the Returning Officer will proclaim you as the elected representative for the district. This is known as "Election by Acclamation".

What are the rules and guidelines for political advertising?

There are strict rules and guidelines for political advertising and fundraising campaigns. The Official Agent of each party can discuss your options from the Election Expenses Act (Section 17 Campaign Advertising) (PDF). All advertising during an election periods must be authorized by the Official Agent of the party.