Chief Electoral Officer and Elections P.E.I. Office
Role and Mandate:
The position of Chief Electoral Officer was established in 1965 and the Office of Elections P.E.I. was established in 1994. The Chief Electoral Officer is responsible for the fair and impartial administration of Provincial elections, Municipal elections, Plebiscites and School Trustee elections.
The Elections P.E.I. Office is a non-partisan Office of the Legislative Assembly and is responsible for the administration of the Election Act, Election Expenses Act, Electoral Boundaries Act, Controverted Elections (Provincial) Act and the Plebiscites Act.
The principal mandate of Elections P.E.I. is to inform and enable all qualified electors and candidates to exercise their democratic right and ensure their constitutional entitlement in elections as entrenched in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
As a statutory officer of the Legislative Assembly, the Chief Electoral Officer reports directly to the Legislative Assembly through the Speaker. The Chief Electoral Officer is completely independent of the government of the day and all political parties. The Chief Electoral Officer cannot vote in provincial elections.
The Chief Electoral officer is assisted in carrying out this mandate by the Deputy Chief Electoral Officer.
The Chief Electoral Officer and the Deputy Chief Electoral Officer are appointed by the Legislative Assembly on the recommendations of the Standing Committee on Legislative Management following a resolution of the Legislative Assembly supported by at least two-thirds of the members.
Province Of Prince Edward Island's Chief Electoral Officers
The first Chief Electoral Officer, G. Lorne Monkley, was appointed on July 13, 1965.
- G. Lorne Monkley - July 13, 1965 to November 1, 1978
- Arthur J. Currie - November 1, 1978 to August 7, 1986
- Merrill H Wigginton - August 7, 1986 to April 30, 2005
- Lowell J. Croken (Acting) - April 30, 2005 to May 10, 2006
- Lowell J. Croken - May 10, 2006 to January 4, 2013
- Gary B. McLeod - January 4, 2013 - June 1, 2017
- Marian A. Johnston (Acting) - June 5, 2017 - present
Province Of Prince Edward Island's Deputy Chief Electoral Officers
The first Deputy Chief Electoral Officer, Layton Schurman, was appointed in May 17, 1973.
- Layton Schurman - May 17, 1973 to June 6, 1996
- Lowell J. Croken - June 6, 1996 to April 30, 2005
- Vacant - April 30, 2005 to May 10, 2006
- Norma Palmer-Bowers - May 10, 2006 to April 2, 2012
- Vacant April 2, 2012 - November 22, 2012
- Judy Richard - November 22, 2012 - April 2017
- Stephanie Roberts - April 26, 2017 - present